Monday, October 11, 2010

Kitties in need of a caring family

-Refuge pour chats de Verdun, Montreal.

In late April of this year, after my "precious" 15-year-old cat passed away, I was browsing the web to find another cat. In the process, I discovered that there were a lot of sites on which you could find cats in Montreal, like Petfinder and Kijiji. I ended up choosing the "Refuge pour chats de Verdun" since I was struck by the resemblance between one of their kitties and the one that I lost.

The refuge has a few adoption days per month, where you can go and get to see several of their cats at a time. The only inconvenience is that the cat you saw online might not be in the building on adoption day, as was the case when I went to get a new cat. This is understandable since it would be crazy to have that many cats (more than 150 cats) in one place at a time. It is best to make an appointment if you want a particular cat. What happened to me is that the refuge went out of its way to go get the cat for me that same day. It was very appreciated and I ended up adopting her, she was 2 and a half years old.

Why adopt an older cat? Well, because cats can live long lives, 15 years, sometime up to 20 or more. Also, he or she, is going to be much calmer than one of those restless kittens and they've already developed their personality, so it's that much easier to find your perfect match. Not to mention that by saving an older cat, you are making a bigger difference since there are LOTS of them. -I still can't believe how irresponsible some people can be toward their pets. Just look into how many pets get abandoned during the month of July, moving time.

Anyhow, the shelter takes good care of their cats. They are fixed and vaccinated. You have to answer a few questions, pay a fee of $145 (it makes up for the operation and shots easily) and sign a small contract. For more information and a list of adoptable cats go to their website. You can also do volunteer work for the shelter if you would like.

Links: http://www.refugechatsverdun.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment